Cardiovascular Sonography, BS
A cardiovascular sonographer aids physicians in the diagnosis and treatment of disorders affecting the cardiovascular system. Using ultrasound and other technology, sonographers collect and evaluate images of the heart, the heart valves and related blood vessels.
Cardiovascular sonographers also evaluate, analyze and record information related to blood vessel anatomy and blood flow of the vessels.
Cardiovascular sonographers work closely with patients. People who choose this career find it rewarding because they are helping others while making a good living doing it.
- This Bachelor of Science degree in Diagnostic Medical Sonography is a 4-year program.
- Four year bachelor of science degree (first two years on campus; third year online coursework plus clinical offered locally and throughout the United States; final year 100% online)
- Students are able to sit for adult echocardiography and vascular technology examinations administered by the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS).
- In addition to student-focused instruction and laboratory learning experiences, students gain hands-on experience through supervised clinical training at hospitals and clinics locally and throughout the United States.
Additional Program Information
Cardiovascular Sonographer Job Outlook & Salary
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), diagnostic medical sonographers (including cardiovasular sonographers, cardiovascular technologists/technicians and vascular technologists) will have a much-faster-than-average job growth rate of 17 percent from 2016 to 2026.
Salary ranges vary by state, experience level and type of healthcare facility. The BLS reported that the national median salary in May 2018 for diagnostic medical sonographers (including cardiovasular sonographers, cardiovascular technologists/technicians and vascular technologists) was about $67,080 annually.
To learn more about the field of echocardiography, please visit the websites below:
- American Society of Echocardiography
- American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers
- Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Society for Vascular Ultrasound
Cardiovascular Sonography Blog Posts
The Cardiovascular Sonography program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs upon the recommendation of the Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography. Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs, 25400 US Highway 19 N, Suite 158, Clearwater, FL 33763, 727-210-2350. www.caahep.org