This course is for all healthcare providers, first responders, and students who are seeking certification in basic life support (BLS). There is an initial class offered for individuals who have never taken a BLS class or have let their certification lapse. There is a renewal class offered for individuals that need to re-certify their BLS and have a current BLS certification.
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) in-person classes are provided to NMHS employees and NMC students at no cost.
- The BLS certification is good for two years after completing the course. Students can take a renewal class the month before their certification expires.
- Students can expect the initial BLS class to last 3.5 hours and the renewal class is only 3 hours long.
- Once a certification expires, it’s required to retake the BLS course.
- Over 4,400 NMC students, healthcare professionals and general registrants take NMC’s BLS course each year.
- For renewal classes, bring proof of current American Heart Association BLS certification.
Before Your Class
Required Student Text: BLS for Healthcare Providers, 2020 Edition (©2020)
Any student can borrow a copy of the BLS book at the Clark building front desk. You do not need to contact us prior to picking up, for front desk hours please call 402-354-7000. **ALL borrowed texts MUST be returned to the front desk the day of class.
The AHA now allows the book to be used during the written exam. Books will be available in the classroom for that purpose, so borrowed books must be returned to the front desk prior to class.
WOMEN’S HOSPITAL EMPLOYEES: Please call (402) 815-1895 to arrange a book pickup.
JENNIE ED EMPLOYEES: Please contact Penny Peters to arrange a book pick up at (712) 396-6003.
FREMONT EMPLOYEES: Please contact HR to arrange a book pick up.
NMHS Employees, NMC Students and external participants have the option to purchase a text for $17.25 (includes S&H). Purchased books will be mailed to the address provided during registration.