Multispecialty Sonography, AS
Our Sonography Program Will Make You a Vital Part of a Medical Team.
Sonography is an advanced technology that uses sound waves to generate images used for assessment and diagnosis of various medical conditions. The 21-month accredited sonography program at NMC provides students with the knowledge and hands-on clinical training to become a certified sonographer.
The curriculum at NMC focuses on different parts of the body. The obstetrics and gynecologic portion focuses on imaging of the female reproductive system and includes one of the more well-known uses of sonography - examining the fetus of a pregnant woman to follow the baby's growth and development.
The abdominal portion of the curriculum involves learning the anatomy of the abdominal cavity to help diagnose and treat conditions primarily involving the aorta, gallbladder, bile ducts, kidneys, liver, pancreas and spleen. During the program you will also focus on the breast, thyroid and male reproductive system.
- This Associate of Science degree in sonography is a 21-month program.
- Students are able to sit for abdomen and obstetrics/gynecology examinations by the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS).
- In addition to student-focused instruction and laboratory learning experiences, students gain hands-on experience through supervised clinical training at hospitals and clinics throughout the greater Omaha area.
Additional Program Information
Sonographer Salary & Job Outlook
The Bureau of Labor Statistics indicates the U. S. median salary in May 2015 for diagnostic medical sonographers was $68,970 per year ($33.16 per hour), with a much faster than average projected job growth of 26 percent between 2014 and 2024.
To learn more about the field of sonography, please visit the websites below:
- American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS)
- Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers
The Multispecialty Sonography program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs upon the recommendation of the Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography. Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs, 25400 US Highway 19 N, Suite 158, Clearwater, FL 33763. 727-210-2350. www.caahep.org