Cardiovascular Sonography, AS
A cardiovascular sonographer aids physicians in the diagnosis and treatment of disorders affecting the cardiovascular system. Using ultrasound and other technology, sonographers will collect and evaluate images of the heart, the heart valves and related blood vessels.
Cardiovascular sonographers also evaluate, analyze and record information related to blood vessel anatomy and blood flow of the vessels.
Cardiovascular sonographers work closely with patients. People who choose this career find it rewarding because they are helping others - and because they can make a good living doing it.
- This Associate of Science degree in sonography is a two year program.
- Students are able to sit for adult echocardiography and vascular technology examinations administered by the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS).
- In addition to student-focused instruction and laboratory learning experiences, students gain hands-on experience through supervised clinical training at hospitals and clinics throughout the greater Omaha area.
Additional Program Information
Cardiovascular Sonographer Job Outlook & Salary
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, cardiovascular technologist jobs will have a faster than average growth rate of 39 percent from 2012 to 2022. Salary ranges vary by state. O*Net Online lists the median salary for the cardiovascular technologist position in 2014 as $54,330.
To learn more about the field of echocardiography, please visit the websites below:
- American Society of Echocardiography
- American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers
- Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Society for Vascular Ultrasound
The Cardiovascular Sonography program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs upon the recommendation of the Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography. Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs, 1361 Park Street, Clearwater, FL 33756, 727-210-2350. www.caahep.org