- Phone: (402) 802-7178
- 720 N. 87th Street
- Omaha, NE 68114
B.S. Biomedical Engineering (2006). Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, Terre Haute, IN
M.S. Industrial and Management Systems Engineering (2009). University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE
Ph.D. Biomedical Engineering (2012). University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE
Bernadette McCrory, Ph.D. is a Research Scientist within the Movement and Neurosciences Center at Madonna Rehabilitation Hospital, a Research Assistant Professor within the Mechanical & Materials Engineering Department at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, and a Public Health Officer within the Nebraska Army National Guard. Dr. McCrory's focuses on improving healthcare quality and safety by assessing and developing intuitive medical equipment, instrumentation and systems. Her current research focuses on conducting biomechanical, physiological and neurocognitive research to protect the health and safety of healthcare workers and to promote independence and quality of life of persons with and without disabilities. She instructs courses concentrating on healthcare human factors and ergonomics, biostatistics and military preventive medicine.
Notable Publications/Presentations (formerly Brown-Clerk)
- Riggle, J.D, Miller, E.E., McCrory, B., Meitl, A., Lim, E., Hallbeck, M.S. & LaGrange, C.L.Ergonomic comparison of laparoscopic hand instruments in a single site surgery simulator with novices. Minimally Invasive Therapy & Allied Technologies, In press.
- Riggle, J.D., Wadman, M.C., McCrory, B., Lowndes, B.R., Heald, E.A., Carstens, P.K. & Hallbeck, M.S. (2013). Task analysis method for procedural training curriculum development. Perspectives on Medical Education. Epub Ahead of Print: Dec 24 2013. doi:10.1007/s40037-013-0100-1
- Burnfield, J.M., McCrory, B., Shu, Y., Buster, T.W., Taylor, A.P. & Goldman, A.J. (2013). Comparative kinematic and electromyographic assessment of clinician- and device-assisted sit-to-stand transfers in patients with stroke, Physical Therapy, 93(10), 1331-1341.
- McCrory, B., Lowndes, B.R., LaGrange, C.A., Miller, E.E. & Hallbeck, M.S. (2013). Comparative usability testing of conventional and single incision laparoscopic surgery devices. Human Factors, 55(3), 619-631.
- McCrory, B., Lowndes, B.R., Thompson, D.L., Miller, E.E., Riggle, J.D., Wadman, M.C., & Hallbeck, M.S. (2012). Workload comparison of intraoral mask to standard mask ventilation using a cadaver model. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting, 56(1), 1728-1732.
- de Laveaga, A.E., McCrory, B., LaGrange, C.A., & Hallbeck, M.S. (2012). Evaluation of instrument dexterity and static resistance of laparoendoscopic single-site (LESS) surgical ports. J.Med.Devices, 6(2), 021002.
- Rousek, J.B., Brown-Clerk, B., Lowndes, B.R., Balogh, B.J. & Hallbeck, M.S. (2012). Optimizing Integration of electrosurgical hand controls within a laparoscopic surgical tool. Minimally Invasive Therapy & Allied Technologies, 21(3), 222-33.
- McCrory, B., Lowndes, B.R., Wirth, L.M., de Laveaga, A.E., LaGrange, C.A. & Hallbeck, M.S. (2012). Ergonomic evaluation of laparoendoscopic single-site surgery ports in a validated laparoscopic training model. Work, 41, 1884-1890.
- Walker, R.A., Thompson, D.L., Hallbeck, M.S., McCrory, B., Lowndes B.R., Lomneth, C.S., Luethge M.J., Lander, L., Miller, M.G., Raynovich, W. & Wadman, M.C. (2012). Comparative study of the effectiveness of the intraoral mask to traditional bag-valve mask ventilation in a lightly embalmed cadaver model. Pre-hospital Emergency Care, 17(1), 118.
- Brown-Clerk, B., Rousek, J.B., Lowndes, B.R., Eikhout, S.M., Balogh, B.J. & Hallbeck, M.S. (2011). Assessment of electrosurgical hand controls integrated into a laparoscopic grasper. Minimally Invasive Therapy & Allied Technologies, 20(6), 321-8.
- Brown-Clerk, B., de Laveaga, A.E., LaGrange, C.A., Wirth, L.M., Lowndes, B.R. & Hallbeck, M.S. (2011). Laparoendoscopic single-site (LESS) surgery versus conventional laparoscopic surgery: Comparison of surgical port performance in a surgical simulator with novices. Surgical Endoscopy, 25(7), 2210-8.
- Brown-Clerk, B., de Laveaga, A.E., LaGrange, C.A., Lowndes, B.R., Wirth, L.M. & Hallbeck, M.S. (2010). Evaluation of laparoendoscopic single-site surgery (LESS) ports in a validated inanimate laparoscopic training model. Journal of Endourology, 24, Supplement 1, A283.
- de Laveaga, A.E., LaGrange, C.A., Brown-Clerk, B. & Hallbeck, M.S. (2010). Mechanical comparison of laparaoendoscopic single-site (LESS) surgical ports. Journal of Endourology, 24, Supplement 1, A281-A282.
- Katsavelis, D., Siu, K.C., Brown-Clerk, B., Lee, I.H., Lee, Y.K., Oleynikov, D. & Stergiou, N. (2009). Validated robotic laparoscopic surgical training in a virtual-reality environment. Surgical Endoscopy, 23(1), 66-73.
- Brown-Clerk, B., Siu, K.C., Katsavelis, D., Lee, I.H., Oleynikov, D. & Stergiou, N. (2008). Validating advanced robot-assisted laparoscopic training task in virtual reality. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics, 132, 45-49.
- Brown-Clerk, B., Siu, K.C., Katsavelis, D., Lee, I.H., Oleynikov, D. & Stergiou, N. (2007). Electromyographic Activity Determines Task Difficulty for Robotic Laparoscopic Training Programs. Journal of Biomechanics, 40, S643.
- Siu, K-C., Lee, I.H., Brown-Clerk, B., Katsavelis, D., Oleynikov, D. & Stergiou, N. (2007). Nonlinear analysis validate the need to learn surgical skill. Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, 29, S130.
Novartis Vaccines & Diagnostics, Inc. Biological sample collection, homogenization, and separation device. U.S. Patent Application 61/628,688, Unpublished (filing date November 2, 2012)
Professional Service/Recognition/Charitable Boards
Dr. McCrory is a member of the Nebraska Army National Guard, American Society of Biomechanics (ASB), Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (HFES) and Public Health Association of Nebraska (PHAN)