Federal Work Study

The Federal Work-Study (FWS) program provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing you to work to earn money for educational expenses. If you're interested in getting a Federal Work-Study job while you're enrolled at NMC, make sure you apply for aid early.  Funds are limited.

How do I qualify?

  • Students must be a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen (permanent resident).  International students are not eligible to participate in this program.
  • Students must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). When completing the FAFSA be sure to use school code 009937.
  • Indicate YES on the FAFSA question asking if you are interested in being considered for work-study.
  • Students must demonstrate financial need: Cost of attendance - estimated family contribution = need
  • Students must be enrolled at least half-time in a degree seeking program.

How will I know if I'm awarded Federal Work-Study?

Review your current award letter from the NMC Financial Aid Office. If you have been awarded you will see Federal Work-Study as a source of funding on the first page or your award letter. An instructional letter is included with your award letter that will guide you through the hiring process.

I wasn't awarded FWS, but I am interested, what do I do?

Contact your Financial Aid Counselor listed on your award letter to find out if you are eligible.

How do I complete the hiring process?

An instructional sheet is provided with your award letter if you have been awarded FWS.  Follow the instructions listed to apply for a Student Assistant Federal Work-Study position. FWS students are considered employees of the Methodist Health System, so the offer is contingent upon you successfully completing a Post Offer Health Screening/Drug Test, Criminal Background Check and a number of employment screenings required for educational and health care organizations. FWS students are not eligible for benefits.

Where would I work? What kind of jobs are there?

Most FWS positions are on campus; however positions are also available within the community to support family literacy programs. FWS positions are available in a variety of departments:

  • Arts & Sciences
  • Bookstore
  • Business & Operations
  • Educational Technology
  • Enrollment Services
  • Front Desk
  • Library
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Professional Development
  • Registrar's Office
  • Student Engagement
  • Student Support Services
  • Upward Bound
  • Plus we have agreements with multiple off-campus agencies that serve the community

How do I get paid?

FWS students are paid a flat rate of $9.00 per hour worked. Your bi-weekly paycheck from the Methodist Health System will be deposited directly to your bank account.

Can I work in the summer if I'm not in school?

No, NMC does not fund a summer FWS program.

If I still have questions who do I contact?

Contact you Financial Aid Counselor listed on your award letter. If you don't know who that is call the Financial Aid Office at 402-354-6531.