The College Challenge
The College Challenge is a college preparation program funded by the College Access Challenge Grant. Nebraska Methodist College received the grant from the Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Post-Secondary Education.
NMC first received the College Access Challenge grant in 2010. The College Challenge program offers a variety of services and activities to help low-income and underrepresented students pursue post-secondary education.
Example of activities include: after school and mentoring programs, college visits, ACT prep classes, seminars and a variety of other activities designed to prepare students for post-secondary education. See more details below.
We serve approximately 50 students from Burke High School.
Burke High School and St. Luke United Methodist Church Teen Center.
All College Challenge students are welcome to participate in our After School Tutoring and Mentoring Program and Exploratory Seminars. In addition, we offer a number of activities throughout the year that provide the tools and resources necessary to successfully prepare and enroll in post-secondary education.
After School Tutoring and Mentoring Program
- Tutorial services
- Test preparation and study skills
- Individual and group academic and career advisement
- Exposure to the range of career options especially those where program participants are under represented
- One-on-one mentoring with a Teacher Mentor
- Seminars are held once a month for a semester (3-4 sessions)
- Seminars will be offered on a variety of days and times to meet the needs of all students
- Seminars will have a variety of topics and themes that meet the interests and needs of all students
- Students are required to attend at least one seminar each semester.
- Students can elect to attend additional seminars, as desired.
- Examples of seminars: ACT Prep, Leadership Council, Book Club, Study Skills, Health Careers, Senior Seminar, Financial Literacy, and Community Service
- College visits
- College admission test prep (PSAT, ACT, and SAT)
- Senior Seminar: A monthly seminar to help seniors prepare for college
- College application assistance
- Financial aid assistance
- Scholarship assistance
- College and career advising and mentoring
Program Calendar of Events
- U.S. Department of Education TRIO programs
- Burke High School
- Omaha Public School District
- Nebraska Department of Education
- Omaha Public Library
Outreach Coordinator, College Access
Nebraska Methodist College - The Josie Harper Campus
720 North 87th Street, Omaha, NE 68114
Phone: (402) 354-7844