Federal Work Study
The Federal Work-Study (FWS) program provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing you to work to earn money for educational expenses. If you're interested in getting a Federal Work-Study job while you're enrolled at NMC, make sure you apply for aid early. Funds are limited.
How do I qualify?
- Students must be a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen (permanent resident). International students are not eligible to participate in this program.
- Students must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). When completing the FAFSA be sure to use school code 009937.
- Indicate YES on the FAFSA question asking if you are interested in being considered for work-study.
- Students must demonstrate financial need: Cost of attendance - estimated family contribution = need
- Students must be enrolled at least half-time in a degree seeking program.
How will I know if I'm awarded Federal Work-Study?
View your account in the NMC Financial Aid Portal. If you have been awarded Federal Work-Study you will see it listed on the Awards page.
I wasn't awarded FWS, but I am interested, what do I do?
Contact your Financial Aid Counselor to find out if you are eligible.
How do I complete the hiring process?
Instructions will be provided when we are ready to begin accepting applications. FWS students are considered employees of the Methodist Health System, so the offer is contingent upon you successfully completing a Post Offer Health Screening/Drug Test, Criminal Background Check and a number of employment screenings required for educational and health care organizations. FWS students are not eligible for benefits.
Where would I work? What kind of jobs are there?
Most FWS positions are on campus; however positions are also available within the community to support family literacy programs. FWS positions are available in a variety of departments:
- Arts & Sciences
- Business & Operations
- Educational Technology
- Enrollment Services
- Front Desk
- Occupational Therapy
- Professional Development
- Registrar's Office
- Student Engagement
- Student Support Services
- Upward Bound
- Plus we have agreements with multiple off-campus agencies that serve the community
How do I get paid?
FWS students are paid a flat rate of $9 per hour worked. Your bi-weekly paycheck from the Methodist Health System will be deposited directly to your bank account.
Can I work in the summer if I'm not in school?
No, NMC does not fund a summer FWS program.
If I still have questions who do I contact?
Contact your Financial Aid Counselor. If you don't know who your Financial Aid Counselor is, please call the Financial Aid Office at (402) 354-6531.