Sonography Admissions Essay
For students applying to Diagnostic Medical Sonography, BS; Multispecialty Sonography, AS; or Cardiovascular Sonography, AS.
Please develop a thoughtful and organized response to each of the numbered prompts below. Use this as a chance to let the admissions committee get to know you, what your motivation to become a sonographer is, and what excites you to be a part of the field of diagnostic medical sonography.
The admissions committee is looking for responses that are well supported and use appropriate style and grammar.
Your complete statement should not exceed 1,000 words. If you use any references in the following answers, it is expected that you follow APA formatting guidelines. You may attach your statement to an email and submit it to the Admissions Office at email@example.com.
Instances of plagiarism within an applicant's written statement will disqualify them for acceptance to Nebraska Methodist College due to the College's commitment to academic integrity and stringent plagiarism policies.
- An NMC graduate is an educated citizen who exhibits breadth of learning through the liberal arts and sciences traditions in concert with professional education. Our goal as an institution is that graduates of NMC will be able to articulate and demonstrate growth in the following areas: as reflective individuals, as effective communicators and as change agents. Considering the educated citizen goals, describe how you would envision using these characteristics as a sonographer.
- Please address what or who has influenced your decision to pursue a career in healthcare.
- Provide an example of a difficult situation or dilemma and describe how you demonstrated resilience.
- How would you explain the field of sonography (Cardiovascular or Multispecialty/Diagnostic Medical Sonography based on the program to which you are applying) to a family friend not in the health care field?
- You are working on a group project and one of the members wants to approach the project drastically different from your own ideas. How do you proceed?
- Outline the steps you will take to ensure your success in this academically rigorous and time-intensive program. Specifically discuss how you will balance other roles and responsibilities in your life during this time. Please consider addressing relationships, employment, financial obligations and any additional priorities in your response.
- If you have job shadowed in sonography, tell us about that experience and how it confirmed that this is the right career choice for you. If you have not shadowed, please respond: Not Applicable.
- Address any and all D's, F's, W's or other discrepancies on your transcripts. If you do not have any D's, F's or W's please respond: Not Applicable.