NAON Orthopaedic Review Course
- Date: March 18, 2014
- Time: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Location: Nebraska Methodist College – The Josie Harper Campus, Clark Building, 720 North 87th Street, Omaha, NE 68114
Cost: $105 with promo code: 65PD
Methodist and Jennie Ed employees please use the 2014 health system promo code for a 100% discount.
Explore how the orthopaedic nurse applies critical thinking skills to assess, plan, implement and evaluate care for the various health issues of adult spine disorders, degenerative joint disease, inflammatory disease, metabolic bone disease, musculoskeletal tumors, pediatric/neuromuscular/congenital orthopaedics, operative orthopaedics, orthopaedic complications and orthopaedic trauma and sports injuries. It is an excellent review for those planning to take the Orthopaedic Nurses Certification Exam and those wanting to enhance their orthopaedic knowledge base.
Participant will be able to:
- Describe the signs and symptoms, surgical and non-surgical interventions, and nursing plans of
care for individuals with degenerative joint disease
- Identify nursing plans of care for the orthopaedic patients during the pre-, intra-, and postoperative periods
- Discuss signs and symptoms and nursing plans of care for select complications of orthopaedic
injuries or surgery
- Create appropriate nursing plans of care (surgical and non-surgical) for patients with musculoskeletal tumors
- Differentiate the clinical signs and symptoms and nursing plans of care for patients with selected inflammatory disease processes
- Compare treatment options and nursing management of metabolic bone disorders
- Develop therapeutic nursing interventions for children with pediatric, congenital and neuromuscular disorders
- Describe common traumatic injuries and nursing plans of care for such patients
- Determine preventative measures for common sports injuries
|7:45 a.m. – 8:00 a.m.||Registration|
|8:00 a.m. – 10:15 a.m.||Degenerative Joint Disease and Adult Spine Disorders|
|10:15 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.||Break|
|10:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.||Orthopaedics in the Operating Room|
|11:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.||Orthopaedic Complications|
|11:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.||Oncology: Musculoskeletal Tumors|
|12:00 p.m. – 12:45 p.m.||Lunch|
|12:45 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.||Metabolic Bone Disorders|
|1:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.||Inflammatory Disorders|
|2:00 p.m. – 2:45 p.m.||Pediatric/Congenital/Neuromuscular Disorders|
|2:45 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.||Break|
|3:00 p.m. – 3:45 p.m.||Orthopaedic Trauma|
|3:45 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.||Sports Injuries|
|4:45 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.||Questions/Answers/Evaluations|
Resource Information- Click here to view
Marcia Weis, MSN, RN, ONC is the program coordinator for Alegent Creighton Health Mercy Hospital's Joint Replacement Center in Council Bluffs, Iowa. She is the published author on the topics of continuing passive motion machine and the use of a blood salvage system after total joint replacement surgery. She continues research in the field of Orthopaedics and Orthopaedic Nurse Certified.
The National Association of Orthopaedic Nurses (NAON) is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing
education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center Commission on Accreditation (ANCC-COA). In order to obtain contact hours or CEU's for a continuing education event, participants are required to attend the entire event and return a completed evaluation.
The course is a one day event offering 7.5 contact hours for each participant who attends the entire course.
These contact hours are Category A as designated by the Orthopaedic Nurses Certification Board.