A Time to Heal 2 Cancer Rehabilitation Facilitator Training
- Date: October 16, 2014 to October 18, 2014
- Time: 5:00 pm to 1:15 pm
- Location: St. Benedict Retreat Center in Schuyler, NE
Nursing and Mental Health Professionals in cancer support training teams.
Cost: FREE with promo code: 100PD
*Methodist Health System and Jennie Ed employees, use your 2014 Employee code for 100% discount.
Purpose Statement: The purpose of this workshop is to educate and prepare facilitator teams for 'A Time to Heal 2'- a holistic rehabilitation/wellness renewal program for breast cancer survivors who have completed A Time to Heal.
Participant will be able to:
- Explain updates in the research underpinning rehabilitation for breast cancer survivors.
- Discuss updated research about breast cancer in America.and various common treatment modalities.
- Explore common "survivor" issues post A Time to Heal 1 completion and traditional resources.
- Describe and Demonstrate "A Time to Heal 2" rationale and underpinnings.
- Demonstrate A Time To Heal 2 creation of healing space.
- Demonstrate 'A Time to Heal 2' timeline exercise session protocol.
- Discuss and Demonstrate the power of journaling and expression as tools for healing.
- Discuss and Demonstrate the "Right and Left Side of the Page" exercise for Determining Resilience Factors.
- Discuss and Demonstrate the "Writing a letter of compassion" technique to promote self- compassion.
- Discuss and Demonstrate the art and science of wellness inventories.
- Discuss and Demonstrate the construct and processes of reinforcing prior commitment, dealing with lack of support for change, and creating new motivation.
- Examine exercise protocol safety and rationale.
- Discuss updates in current Survivorship priority topics.
- Discuss and Demonstrate contracting for change using wellness inventories as a tool.
- Discuss and Demonstrate "Creating the Action Plan" exercise.
- Demonstrate and Discuss "Encouragement Jar" exercise.
- Discuss and Demonstrate the technique of "rewriting" letters to self as a healing modality.
- Demonstrate and Discuss "creating Power Tools", motivating contracts and the power of ceremony.
|Agenda||Thursday, October 16th|
|5:00-6:15pm||Welcome/Introductions Updates in Cancer Research and Who gets cancer? Survivor Issues Post A Time to Heal Overview: A Time to Heal Rationale, Program Protocols, Exercise Facilitation and Safety|
|7:15-8:30pm||Rational and Demontration: Assembling the group; Setting expectations; Tools for retreat: journal, kleenex, water, pen; Demonstrate: Welcome, Candle Ceremy- creating a healing space to music; Describe Worksheet: Dossey wellness inventory- long form without action plan and assessment.|
|Agenda||Friday, October 17th|
|9:00-9:45am||Check in; Demonstrations: Breath counting for centering; set (writing) intention; scarf dancing exercise and MUSIC
|9:45-10:30am||Demonstration of "Timeline of life since graduated from ATTH 1" exercise.|
|10:45-11:30am||Description and Demonstration: Journaling about creating your best life since ATTH 1; Group sharing of timeline.
|11:30 -12:15pm||Demonstrate right side and left side of page exercise from Resilience chapter, discuss the theoretical underpinnings; Describe group facilitation of this exercise.
|1:30 -2:15pm||Describe "Write you a letter of compassion" exercise and demonstration group participation with letter and affirmation exercises.|
|2:15-2:45pm||The art and science of Wellness inventories, extracting priority areas for a next step for creating "best life"; Demonstration of group faciliation re: wellness inventories
Review and Updates: Chapters 1-12, Discussion of Successes and "Failures"
|7:00-8:30pm||Lecture & Demonstration: Art Therapy as a Healing Modality|
|Agenda||Saturday, October 18th
|8:30-9:00am||Check-in, Reinforcing intention, Exercise protocols, Power Tools
|9:00-9:40am||Writing a letter of encouragement to self- theory and practice.|
|9:40-10:15am||Contracting for change, Using Wellness inventories as awareness tools, Setting next step to best life (Guidelines for Successful Steps)|
|10:30-11:00am||Creating the action plan, Adult Education principles, The utility of journaling for sucess.|
|11:00-11:30am||Creating an encouragement jar- techniques and strategies, Demonstration, Discussion.|
|11:30-12:15pm||Motivating Contracts, The power of Ceremony (Graduation); Final Processes, Questions and Answers, Evaluations|
|12:15pm||Lunch and Celebration!
Resource Information- Click here to view
Stephanie Koraleski, PhD is the co-founder and CEO of A Time to Heal Foundation.
Kay Ryan, PhD, RN, CPN is the co-founder and President of A Time to Heal Foundation.
Nebraska Methodist College Center for Professional and Continuing Education awards educational credit to the disciplines listed below. Each professional is accountable to understand their accrediting/licensing body's standards and requirements. The definitive source of information on continuing education requirements is your state or national regulatory board.
In order to obtain contact hours or CEU's for a continuing education event, participants are required to attend the entire event and return a completed evaluation.
Nebraska Methodist College Center for Professional and Continuing Education recognizes that accredited status as a provider unit refers only to its continuing education activities and does not imply Iowa State Board of Nursing, Nebraska Nurses Association, Methodist Health System or any other regulatory body approval or endorsement of any commercial products.
15.0 contact hours awarded
This includes 0 pharmacology hours for Nurse Practitioners
Master Code #: NE16-13C07
Nebraska Methodist College Center for Professional and Continuing Education is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Nebraska Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
This offering meets the continuing education criteria for 15.0 clock hours for Nebraska and Iowa Social Workers.
Mental Health Practitioners
This offering meets the continuing education criteria for 15.0 clock hours for Nebraska licensed mental health practitioners and Iowa Behavioral Sciences practitioners.
15.0 education hours. Nebraska Methodist College Center for Professional and Continuing Education assigns education hours based on 60 minutes of classroom instruction for each offering. Participants may use these for their professional continuing education hours and toward re-licensure if so approved within the standards and guidelines of their discipline.